Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January Girl?


Many have heard me say on many occasions that “I’m a January girl”. I usually say this during January when the “summer lovers” are in full complaining mode and feel that they can no longer go on. As these poor souls start to wilt away, I get a sparkle in my eye. There is just something about winter. Especially in Utah. It’s almost blissful to me. I love the oversized coats, the bundling and mittens. The clean beautiful snowflakes as they leave God and land directly on my tongue. I love the ice turning into crystal cities all around me and the trees glimmering and like glass in the sun. The Hot cocoa, the warm fires, all of it. This is the time of year when it’s okay to just stay in and visit with friends and family without the guilt of “I should be outside doing something” looming over your head.


BUT…..But this year, I have to admit I am really getting down. This is the coldest winter in Utah in four years (weather man told me this morning) and well, damn it….I’m cold.


When the sun is shining its brightest, that is when Utah is at its coldest because it means of coarse that there is nothing “holding” in the warmth. And then a storm comes in and with much appreciation, we do warm up to maybe a scorching 32 degrees. And this is nice and much appreciated, but then another 6” or more of snow is dumped on us and as we climb out of the gigantic igloo that mother nature seems insistent upon building right on top of us, one of two things happens; It either remains overcast, which then causes an inversion, which then makes you cough and feel….well, outright sick; or it clears up and you are freezing your butt off once again. This year has just been extra cold, extra snowy, extra all the negatives and the mug is really feeling half empty, and it has a chip in it, and I just cut my lip.


Does anyone have a tulip?

0 comments: