Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Frozen Fingers

My work place has to be one of the coldest places on earth. Its freezing in the winter due to huge windows that surround my office and just as cold in the summer because central air is, I believe, from the devil. I sit directly under the air duct and shiver all day long. Yes I have jackets. Yes I have sweaters and a blanket too. But these are mere mortal accessories that do nothing for a simple human when used as tools against something as wicked as ‘forced air’. But then there are the other two times of the year when it is neither summer nor winter and so my colleagues (mostly men) decide to keep the central air on. Today is the rainiest coldest day of the season so far, and I am very uncomfortable. I keep trying to type fast, but all the muscles in my fingers are on lock up and each time I slam a finger down onto a key I get a jolt of pain, like when your toes are really cold and then you stub them into the vacuum that you were to lazy to put away. The windows are seeping whispers of the temperature outside, while the vent that is aimed directly onto my head, showers me with bursts of chills. So I am sure you will understand when I say that the cold sandwich waiting for me in the fridge for lunch was not exactly calling my name.

I then got a great idea; I’d go to Village Inn for lunch. I would go in and order a warm meal and just sit there and bask in the warmth. It would be great. I mean it’s an Inn after all, the title alone suggests comfort.
Not so. Village Inn is even colder than work. I didn’t know it was possible. But there I sat shivering, all alone with my warm French dip and way too salty aujus sauce, thinking “how is this possible”? I spent $12.00 dollars.

One thing is for sure. When I am done today, I will go home soak myself in the hottest bath I have ever had. There will be bubbles and steam and happiness everywhere. I will even torture my puppy by making her stay in the bathroom with me so that I have someone to talk to. All plans for this afternoons accomplishments have been canceled. All appointments, overlooked. I will be warm today, maybe not now and maybe not for many hours to come, but eventually I will get there.

2 comments:

It be Cole said...

Totally agree about being cold from the forced air. Some times when Larry has the house central air on all day I go outside to warm up. It’s like cold to the bone. It gets so cold it hurts.
I hope your evening was as grand as it sounded. A bubble bath , good book and a cup of coffee sounds perfect.

Chris said...

oh yah! your lovely overcoat! i remember that. it always made me want to get one. like a london fog or something.

:)