Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Exhaustion

Things happen when you’re exhausted. Exhaustion in and of itself can make for a pretty hard day what with the heavier than normal feeling in your legs and arms, the rolling of the eyes as you desperately try to focus on writing a manual that thousands of pilots and their supporters will read and take direction from (probably not important right?). The frequent head nod that comes when you unknowingly close your eyes and your body says “Now?? Can we sleep now?” But then there are the things that you don’t count on, weekly meetings that insist your attention be at perfection, the stupid decisions you make because your head is not clear enough to think it out, like pulling out in front of someone (and narrowly escaping with your life, and the life of your car) while you attempt to pull into work. The clumsiness that occurs when you pass by a hot cup of coffee that is sitting on your desk, bump it, and realize after it lands on your leg for 3 or 4 seconds that you might better move your butt! Or when you move your arm to shake a strangers hand who has specifically came into the office to introduce themselves to you (as you have spoken on the phone so many times) and your cuff hits a pair of scissors that fly off the desk and land in your foot! Yes I said IN the foot. Ouch.
All in all, I believe this is turning out to be a bit of a dangerous day for me. Beth once said as we were driving through the busy streets of Salt Lake “I am having a bad driving day” and this stuck with me. Because you don’t know what day is going to come along and remove your skills and abilities, making you feel a bit lacking in mental capacity. You can’t prepare for days like today.
You may be asking yourselves “Why does she feel so tired today?” Well, I will tell you. The answer is Annie. Isn’t it always! I gave Annie her first dose of medicine that is supposed to help her with her allergies, and that was a big mistake! She was up all night! Now, I don’t have a yard that I can throw her out in, nor would I….well probably not. No I attempted to lay in bed while she jumped, pounced, and tossed balls and any other toy she could find, at my face. I put her in the living room and went back to bed, closing my door, and this was apparently taken as the ultimate rejection so she sat at the door and cried and moaned and threw a fit that would shock the devil himself for about an hour. Bridger didn’t budge. He slept all night long, happy as could be. No, I don’t know how.

0 comments: