Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another One That Got Away

It wasn’t long ago that BBF Nichole told me the sorrowful story of the year her husband gave her a ‘car buffer’ for Christmas. I hung my head (as does the other BFF’s when we hear reminders of this tragedy) as we know that “We”, the women of the world, had apparently ‘lost one’. For many a decade now our kind has been standing up against this form of cruelty with a sort of outright naked aggression, but sometimes, our voices fail us and one gets by.
This morning another BBF, let us call her Ricki, announced that her husband, excited and unable to contain himself, gave her her Birthday gift last night (4 days early mind you). It was (another) scope for her rifle. This avid hunter of a man really thought hard and apparently this is what he came up with. And so my fellow sisters, let us all take a moment of silence to remember our still suffering friend Ricki, and hope that (even though she is still in a little denial about the disappointment) she will once again find her voice and rise above it all to declare once again and for all woman kind “WE WANT SPA CERTIFICATES, BALLET TICKETS, DINNER, a fun ADVENTURE or perhaps for the married ones even a little ROMANCE”.
Despite this unfortunate mishap Richelle is in a wonderful mood and does not feel the sting to its full extent, and for this I am thankful.
I cannot end without mentioning that if your husband does go wayward with a gift, all is not lost. Remember Nichole? Her story is a happy one and with Nicholes determination and hard work her husband is in full remission.

1 comments:

Cygnus said...

See, and from a guy's perspective, I think I speak for the vast majority when I say that we're just happy when we actually remember to BUY a present. :)